Latest Posts
One moment pls. Loading 10 latest posts...

22 June 2004

The Family Man [TVB]

Written by Black Eyed Susan




"Sonija Kwok really surprised me...It was very enjoyable to watch her..."






SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!






Chinese title (Cantonese)

"Chuut sai how ba" which means the worlds greatest dad



Released in

2002



Cast

Paul Chun - Ko Hoi

Jay Lau - Ko Yuk Yee aka Wasabi aka Dai Mui

Flora Chan - Ko Pui Yee aka Tracy aka Yee Mui

Sonija Kwok - Ko Bo Yee aka Bobo aka Sam Mui

Myolie Wu - Ko Chui Yee aka Polly aka Sai Mui

Moses Chan - Siu Hin Wah aka Kelvin aka Siu Cong Zhi

Michael Tong - Tai Kwong Ming

So Chi Wai - Wai Chung Kit aka Kit Lo

Tsang Wai Kuen - Hui Shing Chi aka Ken

Cheng Tsz Shing - Lui Lik aka Nick



Summary

Ko Hoi has raised four little daughters to four young women who are man enough to face all problems as long as they stick together. All four of them have their own life even though they still live at home. Except for the Dai Mui as she's married to Kit Lo. Because of Kelvin's discharge, he and Tai Kwong Ming decides to move to his apartment, which happens to be the one next to the Ko family. The neighbours don't have a favourable impression of each other and in the beginning they were often bickering. When his daughters were small, Ko Hoi had small worries. Now they're all grown up, he has big worries. One of his biggest concerns is the love lives of his four precious daughters. Even though Wasabi is married, she walks over her husband and constantly asks him to buy her expensive label clothing, bags, ... She even blames him for not making enough money to maintain her. Finally they get a divorce. His second daughter was not better off as her fiancé, Ken, left her with huge debts. Coincidentally, Kelvin became a shareholder in her company, which means that she owes him money. Seeing that she can't pay him back, he reluctantly stayed at the toys company and helped her earn money so she can repay him. Bobo is a successful editor for a magazine, she's also known for her pickiness on men and you could even say she has some strong feminist traits. By accident, Tai Kwong Ming found a job at the same magazine, but under Bobo's nemesis Nick. The two of them are always trying to trick each other and so discredit the other party. Remains the youngest daughter, Polly. She's a university student and always has a flock of guys after her. Those guys are mostly from the clingy type so that her sisters always have to help her dump them.



Performances

Wow!! Paul Chun did a fabulous job as the loving, caring and worrying dad. I think everyone would envy his daughters for having such a wonderful parent. He was truly the star of this series. Sonija Kwok really surprised me. Her acting has quite improved since I first saw her in A Step Into The Past and Where The Legend Begins. In her earlier series her acting was very wooden and stiff, but now it has become more natural and convincing. It was very enjoyable to watch her, also because she looked very pretty here. I think her appearance in modern series is better than in ancient series. The ancient look just doesn't fit her. Another surprise performance was that of Moses Chan. He was so hilarious as Kelvin, I never expected him to have such comic talents. I loved his funny, comical facial expressions; basically I loved his whole performance. The others did a very good job as well, but I won't go into detail as with the former three actors. Flora Chan, Myolie Wu, ... all gave very solid performances, which they carried out with an extra oomph than in their other series.



The chemistry between all the actors was terrific. Especially between Paul Chun and his four daughters, they came across as a real family. I loved how the sisters stuck together or how they argued one minute and totally forgot why the next minute. Together they really brought out what sister love is and with Paul Chun what the perfect father-daughter relationship is. The interaction between Kelvin and Tai Kwong Ming gives out a real buddy feeling, without expressing many words they know that the other is always there. With their respective love interests, the chemistry is also sparkling. Yet the greatest spark I noticed, was between Paul Chun and Moses Chan. They have this entertaining way of conversing with each other that always manages to put a goofy smile on my face. Both of them did a phenomenal and outstanding job!



My favourite scenes

Flashback to when the girls were still young. Sai Mui had a collision with two boys and was being bullied by them, so she blew a whistle to call her sisters for help. The other three ran towards her and quickly scared the two boys away. Flash forward, again Polly had a collision and the whole scene was repeated, but in the present.



The scene where Ko Hoi and Kelvin were searching for an apartment for Tracy and Ken where they can live in after they're married. Especially, when they checked out the bed in the main bedroom so they laid on the bed getting fussy over it and the seller thought they were gay.



Kelvin remained in the office, waiting for Kit Lo to deliver some important toy clothes. In the mean time, he was also playing a computer game so when Kit Lo arrived, he didn't check it and just signed the form. When he finished the game, he opened the box and instead of toy clothes he found women's underwear. Stressed out, he immediately rang Kit Lo and Kelvin had to chase him from street to street till he caught up with Kit Lo in a lingerie shop. In the end, he extracted a hot pink t-back in front of Tracy.



Of course, like many others, I loved the scene where Ko Hoi told the story of the old tree and the little boy to his daughters before his operation. It was one of the most memorable and touching scenes. This scene simply described their relationship.



The verdict

If you haven't seen it, then go see it or you'd miss out on one of the best series from the last years that TVB has produced. The Family Man has all the right ingredients: joy, humour, love, real emotions.



Rating





Interesting facts

I remembered we did a story of 'The Giving Tree' in English class back in secondary school. One of my class mates brought the lyrics of this song to express how a relationship should be. So I went on a search through my old school notes and I've found the story. Basically, the story in the series was based on 'The giving tree'. Enjoy it!



The giving tree by Shel Silverstein

Once there was a giving tree who loved a little boy.

And everyday the boy would come to play

Swinging from the branches, sleeping in the shade

Laughing all the summer's hours away.

And so they love,

Oh, the tree was happy.

Oh, the tree was glad.



But soon the boy grew older and one day he came and said,

"Can you give me some money, tree, to buy something I've found?"

"I have no money," said the tree, "Just apples, twigs and leaves."

"But you can take my apples, boy, and sell them in the town."

And so he did and

Oh, the tree was happy.

Oh, the tree was glad.



But soon again the boy came back and he said to the tree,

"I'm now a man and I must have a house that's all my home."

"I can't give you a house" he said, "The forest is my house."

"But you may cut my branches off and build yourself a home"

And so he did.

Oh, the tree was happy.

Oh, the tree was glad.



And time went by and the boy came back with sadness in his eyes.

"My life has turned so cold," he says, "and I need sunny days."

"I've nothing but my trunk," he says, "But you can cut it down

And build yourself a boat and sail away."

And so he did and

Oh, the tree was happy.

Oh, the tree was glad.



And after years the boy came back, both of them were old.

"I really cannot help you if you ask for another gift."

"I'm nothing but an old stump now. I'm sorry but I've nothing more to give"

"I do not need very much now, just a quiet place to rest,"

The boy, he whispered, with a weary smile.

"Well", said the tree, "An old stump is still good for that."

"Come, boy", he said, "Sit down, sit down and rest a while."

And so he did and

Oh, the tree was happy.

Oh, the tree was glad.










Share:

2 comments:

  1. This is a good show. I love the second sis and the dunno what's his title manager... They are so funny. I hate the 3rd sis the most then is the big sis. I always curse them esp. the 3rd one, when she 'snatch' the manager away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I like this show much... There's much humor, and touching my heart. I'd never missed the show.. I recommended to The Producer and Production team to make the next series is continued? Make it as Family Man part 2? I'd love this show much... Bobo, I love u much... from Malay boy, Malaysia

    ReplyDelete


Labels, Archive and the usual sidebar contents are at the bottom of this page.